Singer bit by a snake on stage and continued to sing for 45 minutes
Fans of Indonesian popstar Irma Bule are still mourning her death which occurred on Sunday. It was a shock to both fans that were at the live performance where the incident occurred and those who weren’t attending.
The 29-year old singer sang folk and traditional pop music for Indonesia which is commonly known as Dangdut. This is an extremely competitive genre which pushes artists to try and stand out from the crowd. Bull's way of doing this was to incorporate into her act creatures which many people fear, snakes.
She was known for using reticulated pythons, boa constrictors and other types of snakes. Her time performing with them had to come to an end at some point, but it is a pity it was so soon and in such circumstances.
While performing in Karawang in West Java, Bule accidentally stepped on the king cobra’s tail which then instantly bit her in the thigh. She was under the assumption that Rianti, the snake, had been defanged, but this apparently was not the case. A video that captured this incident shows her being bitten, sitting down and then attended to by the snake handler. It was reported that she refused treatment.
One of the audience members, Ferlando Octavion Auzura told the local website merdeka.com that, “The accident happened in the middle of the second song when Irma stepped on the snake’s tail”.
She continued to sing for another 45 minutes but then the snake's poison eventually made its way into her bloodstream causing her to vomit and have seizures. She was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. According to the University of Michigan, human victims may stop breathing just 30 minutes after being bitten. They have a neurotoxic venom which will lead to problems with vision, swallowing, speaking, respiratory failure, vomiting and much more.